Iyengar Yoga is the most practiced yoga worldwide and it is considered a powerful tool to relieve the stresses of modern-day life. Iyengar is for everyone; the young and old, fit and unfit and those with health-related conditions.
Developed by B. K. S. Iyengar, it is based on Patanjali’s eight-limbed yoga (Astanga yoga) and aims to unite the body, mind and spirit for health and well-being. Great attention is paid to precision and alignment through the planned sequencing of Asanas (postures) and breath control (Pranayama).
Iyengar Yoga often makes use of props which enable students to perform Asanas correctly and at their own ability. Props minimise the risk of injury or strain, and make postures accessible to everyone irrespective of mobility, flexibility or conditions.
Benefits of practicing Iyengar are plentiful. We encourage you to join us for a complimentary class to experience yoga and make your own decision.
- Increase flexibility, agility and coordination
- Tone, firm and strengthen muscles
- Improve posture
- Improve circulation
- Balance the functioning of organs and glands
- Regulate weight control
- Increase stamina and endurance
- Relieve many back, neck, and other health conditions
- Enhance performance in sport and other physical activities
- Improve concentration and mental clarity
- Reduce stress and teach relaxation
- Create a feeling of confidence and well being
- Deepen your ability to connect with your spiritual self
For more information on the life and work of B. K. S. Iyengar visit the official Iyengar website.
Learn more about Beginner options, Special Offers for New Students, our Centre, Teachers and view our Timetable.